@chanthorp is the real thing

As is now relatively well known, over the weekend, I decided to set up a twitter account, @chanthorp.  I have been looking at twitter for a long time, but if you don’t have an account, you have to type in all of the people you want to read.  I got tired of doing this.

I like twitter for news and — as @ronbilbao said in a tweet — it is a great way to keep in touch with the student pulse.  I like to go on in the evenings and weekends to see what’s up.

I could have gotten someone who knows a lot about this in News Services to plan a roll-out of the Chancellor On Twitter, but they are overworked with the budget cuts and the huge amount of news that we have to manage.  And it’s not my style.  I usually do this kind of stuff myself.

I could have set up a fake name.  But (as was picked up on by @laurelholden in her funny DTH cartoon), when your name is Holden, you can’t be a phony.

So, I went in and typed in my name and my email address and sent out a tweet.

Soon thereafter, I figured out how to turn off the emails you get when someone starts following you.

I read tweets about whether I was real.

I sent an email to the DTH that got tweeted.

The sportswriters tweeted about some of my other emails.

And now, I’m writing a blog about tweets.

One Comment

1. 1

But will you also be following @notholdenthorp?

BTW the journos should have validated you before they started tweeting that you were there (sorta my point). Great lessons all round. And love the cartoon from Ms Holden.

One Trackback

1. By Quick Links | A Blog Around The Clock on December 9, 2010 at 11:26 am

[...] @chanthorp is the real thing [...]